Day 5 : December 22
Title: God Needs Human Agencies
Scripture: Isaiah 58:8
Then your light shall break forth like the morning,
Your healing shall spring forth speedily,
And your righteousness shall go before you;
The glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.
Bible Commentary, Vol. 4, p. 1151
We are to put into practice the precepts of the law, and thus have righteousness before us; the rereward will be God’s glory. The light of the righteousness of Christ will be our front guard, and the glory of the Lord will be our rereward. Let us thank the Lord for this assurance. Let us constantly stand in a position where the Lord God of heaven can favor us. Let us consider that it is our high privilege to be in connection with God—to be His helping hand.
In God’s great plan for the redemption of a lost race, He has placed Himself under the necessity of using human agencies as His helping hand. He must have a helping hand, in order to reach humanity. He must have the cooperation of those who will be active, quick to see opportunities, quick to discern what must be done for their fellow men (Notebook Leaflets, No. 23, p. 1).
God’s Amazing Grace, p. 272
Source of Right Influence
The Lord has a special work to do for us individually. As we see the wickedness of the world brought to light in the courts of justice and published in the daily papers, let us draw near to God, and by living faith lay hold of His promises, that the grace of Christ may be manifest in us. We may have an influence, a powerful influence, in the world. . . . We are to have an eye single to the glory of God. We are to work with all the intelligence that God has given us, placing ourselves in the channel of light, that the grace of God can come upon us to mold and fashion us to the divine similitude. Heaven is waiting to bestow its richest blessings upon those who will consecrate themselves to do the work of God in these last days of the world’s history. (Messages to Young People, p. 26)
There is nothing in us of ourselves by which we can influence others for good. If we realize our helplessness and our need of divine power, we shall not trust to ourselves. We know not what results a day, an hour, or a moment may determine, and never should we begin the day without committing our ways to our heavenly Father. His angels are appointed to watch over us, and if we put ourselves under their guardianship, then in every time of danger they will be at our right hand. When unconsciously we are in danger of exerting a wrong influence, the angels will be by our side, prompting us to a better course, choosing our words for us, and influencing our actions. Thus our influence may be a silent, unconscious, but mighty power in drawing others to Christ and the heavenly world. (Christ’s Object Lessons, p. 341-342)
Personal influence is a power. It is to work with the influence of Christ, to lift where Christ lifts, to impart correct principles, and to stay the progress of the world’s corruption. It is to diffuse that grace which Christ alone can impart. It is to uplift, to sweeten the lives and characters of others by the power of a pure example united with earnest faith and love. (Prophets and Kings, p. 232)
Heart Challenge and Discussion Questions:
We all have immediate or extended family members who have not yet fallen in love with Christ and decided to live faithfully for Him, or they have walked away from God. Maybe some are atheists or have other reasons for their decision. Or maybe they have never had a chance to fully hear, understand and see the gospel in words and actions.
We have a responsibility to do all that is within our power to gently, kindly, and with much wisdom and love reach out to those family members, showing them that we care, and at the right time pointing them to the truth and love of Jesus.
- Will you prayerfully do this important work of intercession and ministry to your non-believing/non-Adventist/backslidden family members? Will you commit to be more intentional in your outreach to them?
- What personal experience do you have in influencing others to Christ? How were you able to impart Christ to those around you?
- Is there something in us that we can influence others for good? What should we do in order to bring others good? What initial steps should we take?
- Who does our heavenly Father appoint to watch over us and prompt us to a better course in influencing others?
- After reading the passages, will you be willing to be a light to the world and let your heart shine for Jesus?
- Pray for God to help you share insights you have gained from reading the Bible.
- Pray for a fresh understanding of the Word and for an open-minded attitude for the Word to shape your beliefs.
- Pray for your family. Are there some members you have problems with? Pray for them, and for yourself as you seek ways to minister to them, pointing them to Jesus through your words and actions.
- Pray for any children in your family and/or community. Pray that Satan’s attacks and deceptions will not lead them away from God.
- Pray that angels will guard the doors and halls and that no accidents or any harm will come to the GYC delegates, leadership, and attendees.
- Pray that the booth area at the convention center be a place of God’s special work on hearts and providences for mission and outreach.