Day 9 : December 26
Title: Sabbath Keepers Repair the Breach
Scripture: Isaiah 58:12-14
Those from among you
Shall build the old waste places;
You shall raise up the foundations of many generations;
And you shall be called the Repairer of the Breach,
The Restorer of [g]Streets to Dwell In.
“If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the Lord honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words,
Then you shall delight yourself in the Lord;
And I will cause you to ride on the high hills of the earth,
And feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father.
The mouth of the Lord has spoken.”
Bible Commentary, Vol. 4, p. 1152
Where do we find the people who are thus addressed? Who is it that shall build the old waste places, and raise up the foundation of many generations? Where are the people who have had light from heaven to see that a breach has been made in the law of God?
In the Revelation, John says, “The temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament.” Revelation 11:19. John saw in vision the Lord’s people looking for His coming and searching for truth. As the temple of God was opened unto His people, the light of the law of God, which was in the ark, shone forth. Those who receive this light are brought to view in the proclamation of the third angel’s message.
This angel is seen flying in the midst of heaven, “saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead or in his hand, the same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb…. Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.”
This is the people that are repairing the breach in the law of God. They see that the Sabbath of the fourth commandment has been supplanted by a spurious sabbath, a day that has no sanction in the Word of God. Amid great opposition they become loyal to their God, and take their position under the standard of the third angel (Manuscript 48, 1900).
As the end approaches, the testimonies of God’s servants will become more decided and more powerful, flashing the light of truth upon the systems of error and oppression that have so long held the supremacy. The Lord has sent us messages for this time to establish Christianity upon an eternal basis, and all who believe present truth must stand, not in their own wisdom, but in God; and raise up the foundation of many generations. These will be registered in the books of heaven as repairers of the breach, the restorers of paths to dwell in. We are to maintain the truth because it is truth, in the face of the bitterest opposition. God is at work upon human minds; it is not man alone that is working. The great illuminating power is from Christ; the brightness of His example is to be kept before the people in every discourse.
Heart Challenge and Discussion Questions:
If there has ever been a time when God’s people need to engage in much prayer, it is now. We are living in the last days and faced with the final events. Satan very much desires to destroy the church and its members. His greatest fear is that believers will be thoroughly connected to Jesus and glorify Him through a life of love, truth, and service.
Whatever attacks from Satan you might be facing, you can trust in Jesus to come through.
- Do you long for that victorious end-time faith? Why not spend some quality time in prayer with Christ today, drinking deep from the Fountain of eternal life, love and truth, and being equipped for service to Him in these last days?
- Share your reflection on your reading and describe what the Lord’s people should be like in the last days.
- Is there an old waste place or breach in your life or community? Is there a way that you can build the old waste places, raise up the foundations, and/or repair the breach?
- What is the Sabbath like for you? Is it a day of rest or a burden? Why? Are you clear on how God wants you to keep the Sabbath? Please share how you observe the Sabbath in a way that deepens your love and connection with God.
- What did you learn today that impacts your walk with God?
- Pray for God to develop in you an endtime faith that works by love.
- Pray for spiritual fortitude to resist and endure the devil’s attacks and temptations through a strong connection with Christ.
- Pray for a clearer understanding of your endtime identity in Jesus.
- Ask God to help you see why you can have confidence in the judgment.
- Pray for God to be glorified in your life as Creator and Redeemer.
- Pray that we as a church and people will awaken from our slumber and get ready for Jesus’ soon coming!
- Pray for those who are considering attending the GYC conference but are hesitating due to spiritual attacks (doubt, anxiety, depression, etc). Pray for God to open the way for them to attend. Pray for God to give them faith and courage to follow God’s leading.