Day 7 : December 24
Title: God’s Love Enables Us to Impart Light
Scripture: Isaiah 58:10
If you extend your soul to the hungry
And satisfy the afflicted soul,
Then your light shall dawn in the darkness,
And your [f]darkness shall be as the noonday.
Reflecting Christ, p. 233
All around us are heard the wails of a world’s sorrow. On every hand are the needy and distressed. It is ours to aid in relieving and softening life’s hardships and misery.
Practical work will have far more effect than mere sermonizing. We are to give food to the hungry, clothing to the naked, and shelter to the homeless. And we are called to do more than this. The wants of the soul, only the love of Christ can satisfy. If Christ is abiding in us, our hearts will be full of divine sympathy. The sealed fountains of earnest, Christlike love will be unsealed.
God calls not only for our gifts for the needy, but for our cheerful countenance, our hopeful words, our kindly handclasp. When Christ healed the sick, He laid His hands upon them. So should we come in close touch with those whom we seek to benefit.
There are many from whom hope has departed. Bring back the sunshine to them. Many have lost their courage. Speak to them words of cheer. Pray for them. There are those who need the bread of life. Read to them from the Word of God. Upon many is a soul sickness which no earthly balm can reach nor physician heal. Pray for these souls, bring them to Jesus. Tell them that there is a balm in Gilead and a Physician there.
Light is a blessing, a universal blessing, pouring forth its treasures on a world unthankful, unholy, demoralized. So it is with the light of the Sun of Righteousness. The whole earth, wrapped as it is in the darkness of sin and sorrow, and pain, is to be lighted with the knowledge of God’s love. From no sect, rank, or class of people is the light shining from heaven’s throne to be excluded.
The message of hope and mercy is to be carried to the ends of the earth. Whosoever will, may reach forth and take hold of God’s strength and make peace with Him, and he shall make peace. No longer are the heathen to be wrapped in midnight darkness. The gloom is to disappear before the bright beams of the Sun of Righteousness. . . .
It was the golden oil emptied by the heavenly messengers into the golden tubes, to be conducted from the golden bowl into the lamps of the sanctuary, that produced a continuous bright and shining light. It is the love of God continually transferred to man that enables him to impart light. Into the hearts of all who are united to God by faith the golden oil of love flows freely, to shine out again in good works, in real, heartfelt service for God.–Christ’s Object Lessons, pp. 417-419.
Heart Challenge and Discussion Questions:
Satan, the originator of all death, misery, selfishness, pain, and sin, and all who embrace his falsehoods will be destroyed soon, in order for justice and love to be restored to the universe. Only those who put their trust in the loving Savior Jesus Christ will be eternally saved and transformed into a new person who reflects the selfless love of God.
- Is it your desire to do all that is within your ability to reach this lost world with the love of God and the message of repentance, salvation, and judgment? Will you shine as Christ’s representative in a dark world?
- Will you stand, live, speak, care, bless, and love, embracing your prophetic identity as a Seventh-day Adventist? And if you are not a Seventh-day Adventist, is it your desire to join God’s end-time movement, be baptized and engage in Jesus’ special mission for you?
- Does God need our gifts for the needy? What can we give to those needy and distressed around us?
- Share your reflection on how we could be a light and a blessing to this dark world. What are the spiritual gifts and talents that God has given you?
- Pray for a divine appointment this week where you can extend a hand, pray for someone, or encourage. Share your experience.
- Pray for a heart for mission and ministry.
- Ask Jesus to increase your faith in Him and for Him to shine through you.
- Intercede earnestly for the 7 names on your prayer list.
- Pray for the Missions to the Cities initiatives especially in Phoenix Arizona where the GYC Conference will be held.
- Pray for those who are working behind the scenes now on the planning and logistics.
- Pray for protection of our young people from ever-increasing worldly influences by focusing on the Word of God and service to others.