Day 38 Devotional Before United Prayer: (about 1:55 minute reading)
A Serious Warning
The following quotes from Ellen White are taken from the book, Testimonies to Ministers and Gospel Workers (pages are in parenthesis). She made some very serious statements about the 1888 message of righteousness by faith presented by Jones and Waggoner, and she gave some very serious warnings to those who rejected it. I believe these statements and warnings are very applicable today in the light that God is once again seeking to bring this wonderful truth to His people in preparation for Christ’s second coming.
The Lord in His great mercy sent a most precious message to His people through Elders Waggoner and Jones. This message was to bring more prominently before the world the uplifted Saviour, the sacrifice for the sins of the whole world. It presented justification through faith in the Surety; it invited the people to receive the righteousness of Christ, which is made manifest in obedience to all the commandments of God. Many had lost sight of Jesus. They needed to have their eyes directed to His divine person, His merits, and His changeless love for the human family. . . . This is the message that God commanded to be given to the world. It is the third angel’s message, which is to be proclaimed with a loud voice, and attended with the outpouring of His Spirit in a large measure. . . .
The message of the gospel of His grace was to be given to the church in clear and distinct lines, that the world should no longer say that Seventh-day Adventists talk the law, the law, but do not teach or believe Christ.(91-92)
This is the testimony that must go throughout the length and breadth of the world. It presents the law and the gospel, binding up the two in a perfect whole. (94)
I would speak in warning to those who have stood for years resisting light and cherishing the spirit of opposition. How long will you hate and despise the messengers of God’s righteousness? God has given them His message. They bear the word of the Lord. There is salvation for you, but only through the merits of Jesus Christ. The grace of the Holy Spirit has been offered you again and again. Light and power from on high have been shed abundantly in the midst of you . . .
Neglect this great salvation, kept before you for years, despise this glorious offer of justification through the blood of Christ and sanctification through the cleansing power of the Holy Spirit, and there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation. (97)
Day 38 Prayer Focus: Pray for
- The Baptism of the Holy Spirit
- Revival for yourself and the church
- God to lead your church to understand and experience the three amazing experiences of the new birth, the baptism of the Holy Spirit and righteousness by faith in preparation for Christ’s soon return
- Those on your prayer list
Day 38 Going Deeper Discussion Questions: (based on pages 126 to 128 of “Righteousness by Faith” by Dennis Smith [pages 146 to 148 of the PDF version])
- What serious warning did Ellen White give concerning the message of righteousness by faith?
- Who did God send this precious message to?
- How can one obtain salvation?
- What will happen if we neglect the glorious offering of salvation through justification and sanctification?
- What would the Seventh day Adventists do in order to give to the church the message of the gospel of His grace in clear and distinct lines?
Day 38 Heart preparation/challenge:
- Throughout the day ask God to remind you what He is speaking to you in today’s reading and going deeper discussions and to help you to apply them in your life.
- Read “Righteousness by Faith” by Dennis Smith pages 128 to 130 (pages 148 to 150 of the PDF file) in preparation for Day 39.
- Prayerfully answer Day 39 discussion questions in preparation to share on Day 39 Going Deeper segment of united prayer.