Day 9 Devotional Before United Prayer: (about 1:57 minute reading)
CHRIST LIVING IN THE BELIEVER
When the believer receives the baptism of the Holy Spirit, he is actually receiving Christ more fully into his life. Moreover, Christ fully living in one’s life is the only way to experience His righteousness in the life. Hence, the experiences of Spirit baptism, Christ living in the believer, and righteousness by faith are all closely linked together.
JESUS LIVES IN THE SPIRIT-FILLED BELIEVER
John tells us that the Christians who are living when Jesus comes will be “like” Him (1 John 3:2). How much like Jesus are we to become? The Greek word translated “like” means “just like” Him. How can this happen? Through the daily baptism of the Holy Spirit Jesus will live out His life in us. Paul described this when he wrote:
“I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.” GALATIANS 2:20
Through the infilling of the Holy, Spirit Christ will come and live in each of us. In the above text, Paul clearly stated that even though he was still alive it was not really he that was doing the “living.” No, it was Christ who was actually doing the “living” in him. In several statements, Paul taught this truth of Christ living in the believer.
“Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?” 2 CORINTHIANS 13:5
“My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you.” GALATIANS 4:19
In the above verse, Paul referred to the process of Christ being fully manifested (formed) in the believer. “To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory” COLOSSIANS 1:27
Jesus living in us is our only hope of fully revealing His glory or character in our life.
Personal Reading for Discussion:
Jesus gave a wonderful promise to His disciples as He was about to leave them. He promised the coming of the Holy Spirit would result in Jesus dwelling in them. “And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever; even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.” (Emphasis added) JOHN 14:16-18 Here, Jesus clearly stated that He would “come” to His disciples through the Holy Spirit. This took place on the day of Pentecost when the disciples received the baptism of the Holy Spirit. So it is through the Spirit’s infilling that Christ lives most fully in His followers.
Since Christ lives in the Spirit-filled believer he or she will have the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16; Philippians 2:5). He or she will also have other attributes of Christ:
- His likes and dislikes
- His love of righteousness
- His hatred of sin
- His desire to obey the Father (Psalm 40:7-8)
- His passion for souls (Luke 19:10)
Paul told us that the wisdom, righteousness, and holiness of Christ was ours as Spirit-filled Christians (1 Corinthians 1:30)—every virtue and quality of Christ. We are to become more and more like Christ every day as we are changed into His “image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord” (2 Corinthians 3:18).
Day 9 Prayer Focus: Pray for
- The baptism of the Holy Spirit
- Revival in your life and in the church
- God to lead the church and you to fully experience Christ’s living presence within every day
- Those on your prayer list
Day 9 Going Deeper Discussion Questions: (based on pages 35 to 38 of “Righteousness by Faith” by Dennis Smith [pages 53 to 58 of the PDF version])
- What happens in the believer’s life when he receives the baptism of the Holy Spirit according to the following texts? • John 14:17-18 • 1John 3:24
- How would you interpret this statement with reference to your own spiritual life “the experiences of Spirit baptism, Christ living in the believer, and righteousness by faith are all closely linked together.”?
- When Jesus comes whom will the believers be like? • 1 John 3:2
- What does it mean to be like Jesus?
- How did Paul describe his relationship with Jesus? • Galatians 2:20
- How would you describe your relationship with Jesus?
- Applying Galatians 2:20 in your own life, what does Christ who is actually doing the “living” in you mean?
Day 9 Heart preparation/challenge:
- Throughout the day ask God to remind you what He is speaking to you in today’s reading and going deeper discussions and to help you to apply them in your life.
- Read “Righteousness by Faith” by Dennis Smith pages 38 to 40 (pages 58 to 60 of the PDF file) in preparation for Day 10.
- Prayerfully answer Day 10 discussion questions in preparation to share on Day 10 Going Deeper segment of united prayer.