Day 15 Devotional Before United Prayer: (about 1:16 minute reading)
Faith Overcomes the World
John recognized faith as the only means of overcoming the temptations of Satan.
For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. (1 John 5:4)
You can see why Satan wants to blind God’s people to the marvelous experience of righteousness by faith in Christ alone. First, he wants to replace Christ from that aspect of the Christian’s life. Second, he doesn’t want us to have victory over temptation and sin. He does not want God’s law to be obeyed. For through experiencing righteousness by faith, we place Christ at the very center of our walk with God, and our lives will be a life of obedience to God. Through our faith in Christ, obedience to God’s law will be manifested in and through us by Christ. And that is true righteousness by faith.
Ellen White certainly understood the centrality of faith in the Christian’s life. She wrote:
The knowledge of what the Scripture means when urging upon us the necessity of cultivating faith, is more essential than any other knowledge that can be acquired. (Review and Herald, October 18, 1898)
She knew faith in Christ was the only way to victory. She knew that faith in Christ’s righteousness was the only way to be righteous. She knew that faith in Christ was the only way to perfectly obey God’s law. This is why she endorsed the 1888 message of righteousness by faith so strongly. She knew it was the only way to have Christ central in our lives and become the people who are ready to meet Christ when He returns in glory.
Day 15 Prayer Focus: Pray for
- The Baptism of the Holy Spirit
- Revival for yourself and the church
- God to lead the church and you to understand and experience Christ’s righteous obedience in the life
- Those on your prayer list
Day 15 Going Deeper Discussion Questions: (based on pages 54 to 55 of “Righteousness by Faith” by Dennis Smith [pages 74 to 75 of the PDF version])
- Why does Satan want to blind God’s people to the marvelous experience of righteousness by faith in Christ alone?
- How has Satan tried to replace Christ in the Christian’s life?
- What is more essential than any other knowledge that can be acquired?
- Why does Ellen G. White strongly endorse the 1888 message of righteousness by faith?
- Why do Christians find it difficult when trying to obey God’s law?
- What does every Christian experience when trying to obey God’s law by their own efforts of trying hard to be faithful?
- Describe in your own words how the Christian is to exercise faith in Christ in order to live an obedient life.
- What actions would you take in your life that would help you overcome the temptations of Satan?
Day 15 Heart preparation/challenge:
- Throughout the day ask God to remind you what He is speaking to you in today’s reading and going deeper discussions and to help you to apply them in your life.
- Read “Righteousness by Faith” by Dennis Smith pages 57 to 59 (pages 77 to 79 of the PDF file) in preparation for Day 16.
- Prayerfully answer Day 16 discussion questions in preparation to share on Day 16 Going Deeper segment of united prayer.