Day 11 Devotional Before United Prayer: (about 1:40 minute reading)
Christ’s Character and Works Made Manifest
The character Christ revealed, and the works He did, will be seen in the life of every believer that receives the baptism of the Holy Spirit and continues to walk in that baptism. That is why Jesus could positively state that specific signs would follow those that believe such as healing and casting out devils (Mark 16:15-18).
We see these words of Christ fulfilled from Pentecost onward. His character was manifested through all who received the infilling of the Spirit (Acts 2: 46-47). Thousands were won to Christ through the preaching of the gospel, and the sick were healed (Acts 5:15-16).
This wonderful work of Christ continued through the first few centuries of the Christian era. However, as darkness came upon the church through the many false teachings that were accepted and propagated, the church lost her power. The great era of apostasy brought with it great weakness in the body of Christ. The character of Christ became obscure, soul winning waned, and the healings all but ceased. A time of great spiritual famine griped Christendom.
Christians today are not exempt from these woeful influences. In fact, God in His message to Laodicea indicated that the last church of the Christian era, in which we now live, is failing to reflect Christ’s character (Revelation 3:14-22). Unfortunately, however, she is unaware of her shortcomings. Laodicean Christians think that they have all they need. The church is “lukewarm,” so she needs to be heated to become “on fire” for their Lord. Who has the fire needed? Jesus does. John the Baptist foretold that Christ would baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire (Luke 3:16). The baptismal fire of the Holy Spirit is the only hope for the Laodicean church.
I would that we had the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and this we must have before we can reveal perfection of life and character. I would that each member of the church would open the heart to Jesus, saying, ‘Come, heavenly Guest, abide with me. (Manuscript Releases, Vol. 2, p. 26.)
Day 11 Prayer Focus: Pray for
- The baptism of the Holy Spirit
- Revival in your life and in the church
- God to lead the church and you to fully experience Christ’s living presence within every day
- Those on your prayer list
Day 11 Going Deeper Discussion Questions: (based on pages 41 to 42 of “Righteousness by Faith” by Dennis Smith [pages 61 to 62 of the PDF version])
- What ministry signs did Jesus say would accompany Spirit filled believers? • Mark 16:15-18
- Was Christ’s prophecy of the believers healing the sick accurate? • Acts 5:15-16
- What happened in the Christian church that caused miracles to stop?
- Referring to question 3, are we seeing/recognising that in our church today? Is our church seeing/recognising that today?
- What is the condition of the Laodicean church? • Revelation 3:14-18
- Are we the Laodicean church? Please elaborate to support your answer.
- What is the only hope for last-day Christians to come out of their Laodicean condition?
Day 11 Heart preparation/challenge:
- Throughout the day ask God to remind you what He is speaking to you in today’s reading and going deeper discussions and to help you to apply them in your life.
- Read “Righteousness by Faith” by Dennis Smith pages 42 to 43 (pages 62 to 63 of the PDF file) in preparation for Day 12.
- Prayerfully answer Day 12 discussion questions in preparation to share on Day 12 Going Deeper segment of united prayer.