Day 12 Devotional Before United Prayer: (about 2:03 minute reading)
Christ Wants into Our Lives
Christ is pictured as “knocking” at the door of the Laodiceans (Revelation 3:20). He longs to become a part of the lives of these professed believers, which is the only solution to their problem. The indwelling of Christ occurs only through the infilling of the Holy Spirit. The message of Christ to the Laodiceans is indeed a call to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit, an experience that draws Christ fully into their lives.
When last-day Christians receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit and continue to daily walk in it, a great revival and reformation will be witnessed. Christ’s character will be manifested in its perfection through His people by Christ Himself. God’s last-day message will be proclaimed with a power not ever previously seen. Many signs will follow. Ellen White spoke of this time when she wrote:
In visions of the night, representations passed before me of a great reformatory movement among God’s people. The sick were healed, and other miracles were wrought. A spirit of intercession was seen, even as was manifested before the great day of Pentecost . . . Hearts were converted by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Testimonies for the Church, Vol. 9, 126)
The great focus of the prayers of God’s people at that time will be to receive more of Jesus, more of the infilling of God’s Spirit. The earnest desire of the heart will change. Instead of focusing on sin and lamenting their failures, they will be pleading “that I may know him” (Philippians 3:10). They have discovered the wonderful truth—to know Jesus is victory. This “knowing” comes through the infilling of the Holy Spirit. Victory comes by learning how to let Jesus live out His victory in the believer. Victory comes by fully experiencing righteousness by faith.
Christ will finish His work on this earth. We are all invited to participate in its glorious climax. However, the only way we will be able to work successfully with Christ in this work is to have Him working in and through us by the infilling of the Spirit. The only way we can have Christ live out His righteous life in us is by the infilling of the Spirit. This is why Paul so emphatically commanded us to “be filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18).
Day 12 Prayer Focus: Pray for
- The baptism of the Holy Spirit
- Revival in your life and in the church
- God to lead the church and you to fully experience Christ’s living presence within every day
- Those on your prayer list
Day 12 Going Deeper Discussion Questions: (based on pages 42 to 43 of “Righteousness by Faith” by Dennis Smith [pages 62 to 63 of the PDF version])
- What is Christ described doing in God’s warning message to the Laodiceans? • Revelation 3:20
- How do Laodicean believers open the door of their heart and let Christ fully into their life? • 1 John 3:24
- What does Ellen White describe will happen when Laodicean Christians receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit and let Jesus live fully in them?
- What will be the overriding desire of last day Spirit filled Christians? • Philippians 3:10
- Why is “knowing” Christ so important? • John 17:3
- What did Christ say to those not ready to meet Him when He returns? • Matthew 7:23; 25:12
- What does Paul command all Christians to do? • Ephesians 5:18
Day 12 Heart preparation/challenge:
- Throughout the day ask God to remind you what He is speaking to you in today’s reading and going deeper discussions and to help you to apply them in your life.
- Read “Righteousness by Faith” by Dennis Smith pages 46 to 51 (pages 66 to 71 of the PDF file) in preparation for Day 13.
- Prayerfully answer Day 13 discussion questions in preparation to share on Day 13 Going Deeper segment of united prayer.