Day 30 Devotional Before United Prayer: (about 2:55 minute reading)
Ellen White’s View
Ellen White supported the views of the first class mentioned in Daniel’s representation of the three classes. Moreover, she was very strong in her counsel to those who rejected it:
Some have turned from the message of the righteousness of Christ to criticize the men . . . The third angel’s message will not be comprehended, the light which will lighten the earth with its glory will be called a false light, by those who refuse to walk in its advancing glory. The work that might have been done, will be left undone by the rejecters of truth, because of their unbelief. We entreat of you who oppose the light of truth, to stand out of the way of God’s people. Let Heaven-sent light shine forth upon them in clear and steady rays. God holds you to whom this light has come, responsible for the use you make of it. Those who will not hear will be held responsible; for the truth has been brought within their reach, but they despised their opportunities and privileges. (Review and Herald, May 27, 1890)
She had been a part of the advent movement since its beginning and saw no danger in this message taking the people away from the mission the Lord had given to this church; to preach the third angel’s message. She addressed this concern in the following statement.
Several have written to me, inquiring if the message of justification by faith is the third angel’s message, and I have answered, “It is the third angel’s message in verity.” (Review and Herald, April 1, 1890)
How Are Righteousness by Faith and the Third Angel’s Message Related?
Some may still ask the same question today, “What does the message of righteousness by faith have to do with the third angel’s message?”
I would begin by asking, “What is the purpose of the third angel’s message?” The third angel’s message calls men and women to obedience of God’s commandments, including the fourth commandment admonishing mankind to keep holy the seventh-day Sabbath. The message includes a warning to all who turn from God and receive the “mark of the beast,” which is Satan’s counterfeit day of worship. Those who receive the mark of the beast will experience the seven last plagues and be lost. (Revelation 14:9-10)
The next question I would ask is, “What is the purpose of the message of righteousness by faith in Christ?” The answer is: the message of righteousness by faith leads men and women to obedience of God’s commandments as they in faith allow Christ to live out His life of righteous obedience to God’s law. Righteousness by faith leads to keeping God’s commandments. As we have seen, this happens not by man’s efforts but by faith in Christ to manifest His commandment keeping in our lives.
Ellen White understood this when she wrote:
The Lord in His great mercy sent a most precious message to His people through Elders Waggoner and Jones. This message was to bring more prominently before the world the uplifted Saviour, the sacrifice for the sins of the whole world. It presented justification through faith in the Surety; it invited the people to receive the righteousness of Christ, which is made manifest in obedience to all the commandments of God. (Testimony to Ministers and Gospel Workers, 91-92, emphasis added)
She knew that reception of the message of righteousness by faith would lead to “obedience to all the commandments of God.” Therefore, the message of righteousness by faith in Christ and the third angel’s message are proclaimed to achieve the same goal—obedience to God’s commandments.
Ellen White continued:
This is the message that God commanded to be given to the world. It is the third angel’s message, which is to be proclaimed with a loud voice, and attended with the outpouring of His Spirit in a large measure. (Ibid.)
Day 30 Prayer Focus: Pray for
- The Baptism of the Holy Spirit
- Revival for yourself and the church
- God to lead you and the church to understand and experience righteousness by faith in preparation for God’s last-day message to be given in the “loud cry” accompanied by the latter rain of the Spirit
- Those on your prayer list
Day 30 Going Deeper Discussion Questions: (based on pages 101 to 104 of “Righteousness by Faith” by Dennis Smith [pages 121 to 124 of the PDF version])
- What will happen to those who refuse to walk in its advancing glory the message of the righteousness of Christ?
- What is the third angel’s message in verity according to Ellen G. White in Review and Herald?
- What did Ellen White say was the relationship between the third angel’s message and the message of righteousness by faith?
- Describe why and how the third angel’s message and the message of righteousness by faith are closely related.
- What is the purpose of the message of righteousness by faith in Christ?
- What message did Ellen White say would be part of the “loud cry” and accompanied by the latter rain of the Spirit?
Day 30 Heart preparation/challenge:
- Throughout the day ask God to remind you what He is speaking to you in today’s reading and going deeper discussions and to help you to apply them in your life.
- Read “Righteousness by Faith” by Dennis Smith pages 104 to 106 (pages 124 to 126 of the PDF file) in preparation for Day 31.
- Prayerfully answer Day 31 discussion questions in preparation to share on Day 31 Going Deeper segment of united prayer.